To access and print a PDF version of this "How To", please click here.

Have you lost your loan promissory notes? Did you attend another college or two before attending UCLA and you cannot remember the type of loan or the lender? Help is available!

The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)
NSLDS maintains a central database of student aid for the US Department of Education. NSLDS allows you to access your Stafford Loan(s) and Perkins Loan(s) outstanding balances, loan statuses, and disbursements. The Direct Loan Program, PELL Grant Program and other US Department of Education programs are also on file at the NSLDS website.

  • STEP 1: Go to
  • STEP 2: Obtain a Personal Identification Number (PIN) from the US Department of Education.

    Your PIN serves as your electronic signature and provides access to your personal records with the US Department of Education systems. You can request a PIN via the NSLDS website by clicking on FAQ’s, which links you to the US Department of Education’s The PIN Web Site. On The PIN Web Site, select Apply for PIN. Submit the required information. You will receive a PIN Application Confirmation Ι response. Generally, it takes two to three business days after making your request to receive e-mail instructions on how to retrieve your PIN electronically or seven to ten days to receive your PIN via the US Postal Service. After you acquire your PIN, go to STEP 3.
  • STEP 3: Access NSLDS by going to On the NSLDS screen, click on Financial Aid Review and the Gathering Your Information screen will appear.
  • STEP 4: Read the privacy statement on this screen. If you agree, click Accept to continue the process of finding your loans. The Confirming Your Identity screen will appear after you click Accept.
  • STEP 5: Enter your PIN, Social Security number (SSN), the first two letters of your last name, and your date of birth to confirm your identity. You can electronically sign documents, including your promissory note(s), and retrieve personal information. Keep your PIN safe and secure.
  • STEP 6: View the FINANCIAL AID REVIEW screen listing your Title I loans, including the loan amount, loan date, disbursed amount, canceled amount, outstanding principal and outstanding interest reported to NSLDS by your lenders. If you have questions, you can call the US Department of Education at 800-4FEDAID.
The Federal Student Aid Information Center
To find out who your Stafford and/or Perkins lender(s) are, contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center.
  • STEP 1: Call (800)-433-3243. Listen to the telephone menu and select Option Three: Borrower Loan Tracking Division.
  • STEP 2: Access your lender history using your Social Security number, date of birth and any other identifying information requested of you.
The National Student Clearinghouse (NSC)
If you simply need to discover your Stafford Loan lender(s), you can log onto a LoanLocator on the NSC website. The NSC is a non-profit association founded by lending institutions, educational institutions, guarantors and other loan agencies to serve as a central repository and a single point of contact for enrollment status and related information.
  • STEP 1: Go to, click on Students. The LoanLocator is on the Students page.
  • STEP 2: Click on the words LoanLocator, which will open the Where are my Student Loans? page. Enter your Social Security number and date of birth.
  • STEP 3: View the Primary Loan Contacts page listing the organizations that have reported to the NSC that they hold your loans.
Campus-Based Loans
Your campus-based loans are administered by the college(s) where you received the loan funds. For inquiries regarding UCLA loans, contact Affiliated Computer Services, Inc. (ACS) at (866) 575-4517 or at For institutions other than UCLA, contact the Financial Aid Office or Loan Office of the institution you attended or their servicer.

Credit Bureau Reports
You can also request a credit report from a credit bureau. There is a charge for this service. Your Stafford and Perkins loans will be listed in your credit history. If you have private, alternative loans, a credit report is the best resource of loan and/or lender information. To obtain a credit report from one of these credit bureaus, call or log onto: