Without further action on the part of Congress, a Perkins Loan cannot be made to a 'new borrower' after September 30, 2015.
IF YOU ARE A POTENTIAL FIRST-TIME PERKINS LOAN BORROWER wishing to receive the Perkins Loan offered to you for the 2015-16 academic year, you must perform ALL of the following:
- 'Accept' the Perkin Loan offered on your Financial Aid Notification (FAN) by no later than Monday, September 14, 2015.
- Complete a Debt Management Session/Entrance Exam on the Student Loan Services & Collections website, if you have not already, by no later than Tuesday, September 22, 2015. (Go to www.loans.ucla.edu for details.)
- Complete a Perkins Loan Master Promissory Note via E-Sign On-Line. (Go to www.loans.ucla.edu for details regarding the E-Sign On-Line process.) Using E-sign On-Line will be the quick way to complete this step. If for some reason you are unable to use E-sign On-Line (or you prefer paper loan documents), contact the Loan Services Office. (Contact Us)
- You must submit your completed electronic or paper Perkins Loan documents by no later than Tuesday, September 22, 2015. (It is highly recommended that completed paper Perkins Loan documents be brought in-person to the Loan Services Office, A-227 Murphy Hall rather than mailing them to better ensure meeting program requirements and the completion deadline.)
Please be aware that failure to complete any of the above tasks by the specified deadline dates may result in the cancellation of your Perkins Loan. (For future reference please note that according to current regulations, a student who in 2015-2016 award year receives a Perkins Loan for the first-time will NOT be eligible to receive a Perkins Loan beyond the 2015-2016 award year. This may change if Congress decides to reauthorize or extend the program.) IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY BORROWED UNDER THE PERKINS LOAN PROGRAM while at UCLA, you are 'grandfathered' into the program and will be able to continue participating in the Perkins Loan Program for no more than the next five years. However, continuation of participation is based on specific circumstances and qualifying under program and awarding guidelines. [See your Financial Aid Counselor for details.]
- Pay As You Earn (PAYE) - If your student loan debt is high relative to your income, you may qualify for the a new loan repayment plan to be offered by the Department of Education. For more information, click here.
- The Loan Services Office hours of operation are 9AM to 5PM weekdays, with Short-Term Loan Program service from 9AM to 4:30 PM and telephone service from 9AM to 4PM.
- The Collections Office hours of operation are 8AM to 5PM, with telephone service from 9AM to 5PM.
- Complete your Perkins Loan documents online through the Student Loan Services & Collections website using E-Sign On-Line™! If you have been notified by email of the online availability of your Federal Perkins Master Promissory Note, you can click here to begin your E-Sign On-Line™ at UCLA process.
- ATTENTION! All first-time UCLA undergraduate and graduate student loan borrowers - the Debt Management Session/Entrance Exam is available online here.
- Learn more about How To Complete Your Perkins Loan Documents Online and other topics by exploring the "How To" Series.
- Plan ahead. Start by using this month's edition of the Bruin Dollars and $ense Calendar.
- Increase your financial literacy! Check out the Money and You page for helpful information on how to better understand and manage your funds.
- How much did I borrow?!? Who is my lender?!? Use MyLoanData to find the answers. Trying to not over borrow; to budget your finances in the present in order to build a better economic future? As a student loan borrower building a budget, it is important to know the amount of your loan debt BEFORE accepting eFAN offers. Utilizing various sources, MyLoanData gives you access to your disbursed student loan information and more. Start off right. Visit MyLoanData today.
- Understanding Loans and SB1289 (Corbett Disclosure)
Federal student loans are available to most students regardless of income and provide a range of repayment options including income-based repayment plans and loan forgiveness benefits, which other education loans are not required to provide. For more on this, CLICK HERE.
For Those In Or Approaching Loan Repayment
- Wanting information on the recently announced Special Direct Consolidation Loans Program? CLICK HERE for more details!
- Looking to consolidate your student loans? Find out more about the benefits and drawbacks by going to the 'Repayment' section of the SLS&C website and selecting Loan Consolidation.
- Income-Based Repayment (IBR) is a new student loan repayment program that can make payments more affordable for qualifying borrowers. To learn more, click here.
- The University of California takes seriously complaints and concerns regarding the institution. Most are resolved at the campus level. If a complaint regarding the University of California has not been resolved at the campus level, find out what the next step is in the process by reading the Complaint Process Notice.